On September 15, 2021, Governor Pritzker signed the Climate and Equitable Jobs Act (Public Act 102-0662) into law. This Act includes significant changes to the Adjustable Block Program, including the opening of new blocks of Program capacity within 90 days (by December 14, 2021).
To prepare for these changes to the program, the ABP Approved Vendor Portal will close to new project submittals on November 1, 2021. All projects submitted in batches on or prior to that date will be considered waitlisted projects (pending payment of application fees within 10 business days of batch submittal). The project portal will reopen for new project applications on December 14, 2021.
The Act includes several key changes to the program that will be implemented for block reopenings:
- The size cut-off between Small and Large Distributed Generation categories has been changed from 10 kW to 25 kW.
- Three new categories have been created: (1) community-driven community solar projects, (2) projects at public schools, and (3) projects submitted by equity eligible contractors.
- The maximum size of projects in certain categories has been extended from 2 MW to 5 MW.
- Provisions have been established for the selection of waitlisted community solar projects.
- REC prices for initial opening of additional capacity will be set* on adjustments from the last open block prices.
- Prevailing wage requirements have been established, with exceptions for select project types.
- REC contract payment schedules have been revised for Large DG and Community Solar projects. (Waitlisted Large DG projects maintain the prior payment schedule).
The IPA will be seeking stakeholder feedback on certain items related to the opening of new blocks, including updated REC delivery contracts. Currently, the IPA plans to release written requests for stakeholder feedback on October 14, 2021. A stakeholder workshop will be held on October 21, 2021. Written comments and responses to the workshop topics and/or the written request for stakeholder feedback may be submitted no later than November 4, 2021. More information on the workshop and written requests for stakeholder feedback will be announced at a later date. Additionally, the Program Administrator will be releasing guidance to Approved Vendors regarding the processing of waitlisted projects in the coming weeks.
Additional updates to the Program (and to the Illinois Renewable Portfolio Standard more generally) will be included in the next draft Revised Long-Term Plan that will be released for public comment no later than January 13, 2021 (120 days after the effective date of P.A. 102-0662).
For questions regarding this announcement, please reach out to the Program Administrator at [email protected] or at 877-783-1820.
*Changed “REC prices for initial opening of additional capacity have been set on adjustments from the last open block prices.” to “REC prices for initial opening of additional capacity will be set on adjustments from the last open block prices.” Change made on October 5, 2021.