Energy Solutions continues its commitment to providing frequent updates and details on Illinois Shines application processing progress. As of the week ending June 11, the Program Administrator has achieved the goal of a two-week review turnaround for review of Large and Small DG (Part I and Part II) applications. Since Energy Solutions became Program Administrator July 1, 2022, through June 11, 2023, the program has reviewed over 13,317 Part I project applications and 7,456 Part II applications.
This announcement provides the following application processing updates:
- Updated application processing tables through the week starting June 11, 2023, and forecast through June 2023
- Updates to accelerate application processing, including progress in the Need Info working group
Application Processing Updates
The Program Administrator has established the staffing and processes to maintain review average turnaround times of two weeks moving forward. Updated application processing data is published on the Program website on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. This weekly announcement reflects projected and actual application submission and processing throughput, including a forecasted “turnaround time” of submission date to application review by project type/category, and updates on our Need Info efforts.
The week of June 5, 2023, the Program received fewer new project applications than projected; however, the Program Administrator is prepared to address higher volumes and has received updates from AVs that larger batches are expected in the coming weeks.
Applications are reviewed in order of submission date by Part I/Part II groups, regardless of project category reflected in forecasted review dates. For example, older Part I Small DG applications are processed before more recently submitted Part I Large DG applications.
*End of Week Queue column includes the total number of applications batched and paid which have not been reviewed. Due to project cancellations, the current queue may not exactly equal the previous week’s queue plus submitted less reviewed application volumes.
Staffing and Training Enhancements
- Staffing – The Program Administrator’s applications team is positioned to meet current application processing needs and can quickly “ramp up” to address increases in submissions.
- Productivity and Quality Gains – As staff experience progresses and bulk review expands, the volume of reviewed applications has increased while the proportion of Need Info requests has been reduced.
Need Info Updates
Resolving the high Need Info volume and resulting delays in application approvals remains a high priority. Updates from the Need Info Working Group include:
- The allocation of additional staff to Need Info efforts, including four additional staff being trained this week to resolve applications missing information by updating applications with data and documentation provided by AVs.
- Progress toward sending Need Info email requests twice weekly to more quickly notify AVs of issues. Weekly emails will be sent on Wednesdays, and when possible, Mondays as well. Emails to AVs with new requests will no longer be sent on Fridays.
- Coordination between the Program Administrator and IPA to update processes and requirements going forward, outlined here. (Please note, for previously flagged applications including email requests to the AV, AVs may disregard these items while the Program Administrator revisits applications impacted by these adjustments):
- Making Tracking System ID optional at Part I Application for already energized projects
- Roof mounted systems will not be flagged for the ground cover ratio requirement for the time being. Long-term, the portal will be reworked to ensure that only single axis tracking systems are required to submit aground cover ratio.
The Program Administrator thanks stakeholders for their continued patience and feedback. We are working hard to aggressively meet application review and approval targets and bring application processing into expected timeframes for the benefit of all stakeholders. Stakeholders are invited to contact the Program Administrator at any time regarding specific applications or overall application processing, by contacting: [email protected] or (877) 783-1820.